Tarawera Publishing Limited (TPL) was formed in 1997 when founder Philip Macalister set up one of New Zealand’s first online news sites www.goodreturns.co.nz.
Good Returns is held in high-regard by its target audience, the financial services industry. A team of highly experienced business journalists update the site daily with topical, breaking and relevant news and views.
Philip has a deep knowledge of the industry and often speaks at presentations and conferences. He is a recognised industry spokesperson and has been invited to provide industry comment for TVNZ, Radio NZ and TV3 and has contributed articles to the New Zealand Herald, Sunday Star-Times and the National Business Review. Previously he was a business journalist with the Dominion, Dominion Sunday Times, and the Sunday Star.
Philip started a Blog in 2004 where he regularly gives his thoughts on the latest happenings in the financial industry.
Good Returns is also regularly awarded rankings in the Top 10 of the Business and Finance - Business Information category by Hitwise. This award recognises the leaders in their industry.
Tarawera Publishing Ltd (TPL) subsequently launched a number of other magazines and websites and is now the largest specialist publisher in the personal finance space in New Zealand. Other titles TPL publishes or manages include:
- ASSET magazine – for financial advisers
- TMM - The NZ Mortgage Mag – for mortgage brokers
- www.intelligentinvestor.co.nz – an online bookstore specialising in books and resources on investment and personal finance to help people increase their financial literacy
- www.landlords.co.nz - for kiwi property investors
- www.depositrates.co.nz – to find the best term deposit rates online
- www.sharetrader.co.nz - the only on-line community for share traders in NZ
- www.kiwisaver.net.nz - KiwiSaver news and information on different schemes
TPL is based in Rotorua to take advantage of the wonderful lifestyle available there for the owners and their employees.
The company prides itself on always "playing with a straight bat" and supporting local and national community groups and charities.
The company has won a number of awards since it was established. These include:
- 1999- Net Guide Awards winner
- 2003 - Rotorua Business Awards Winner - Innovation
- 2003 – Deloitte fast 50 Award ( 11th fastest growing company in NZ)
- 2004 - Rotorua Business Awards Winner – Media, IT and Communications
- 2004 - Deloitte fast 50 Award ( 22nd fastest growing company in NZ)
- 2005 - Telecom Business Excellence Award
Director Philip Macalister was also named 2008/2009 Industry Contributor of the Year by the Professional Advisers’ Association.